Absolute Proof that the Church is True (But it's Not Proof for You)



A large pink wad of chewing gum, originally discovered by General Santa Anna the day before he got his idea for Chiclets, has been positively identified as having been chewed by an ancient Jewish seafarer who was stranded in the new world. Said chewing gum was stuffed full of several pulp-rich teeth, because scurvy. This pulp was delicately extracted, squirted into a small test tube and sent to one of those DNA places that have lots of lawyers and threats of restraining orders.

An at-home DNA test, on the other hand, conclusively proved that the ancient seafarer was not the father of any of our more docile cats.

Proof of God, LDS Church, the Book of Mormon or of anything religious at all really doesn’t work like that. It’s a far more personal matter. Sure you have something broad and sweeping like Nahom, which, you know, feels pretty good. You’ve also got stories of angels showing up at Joseph Smith’s request and the absolutely unbreakable BOM witnesses. But other people’s stories really aren’t the stuff on which you build the rest of your life. Direct contact with one of the Godhead, on the other hand, can shape your forever.

Below is a smattering (yes, smattering) of 100% proofs that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is exactly what it says it is.

But it is not proof for anyone but the people reporting it.

Testimonies are easy to find online, but finding specific experiences behind testimonies printed online is kind of hard. In my brief search I found the specific whys are kind of tucked away. There are some though. They aren’t necessarily the starts of testimonies – just powerful, undeniable experiences that constitute 100% personal-proof that the LDS church is true. 

The list below starts out with simple spiritual testimonies, but moves through overwhelming sensations, visions, the gift of tongues and angelic visitations.

That’s right! I said angelic visitations (plural)!

First, a beautifully written summary of what a testimony can be. It’s an excerpt from a website where returned missionaries to Peru were invited to share some mission experiences:

Jessica (Spirit-General)
“I have a hard time sharing these, because they are so personal, so subtle. I can’t explain them. Words don’t work. But there were many spiritual experiences. Small moments that felt like being run over by a train that no one else even noticed because we were just reading our scriptures. Moments of silence and then suddenly an investigator was crying because they’d never been so touched. Moments that made me realize I had a testimony about something I’d never stopped to consider. Moments of insight into another person’s life that may have been visionary or wishful thinking, and I have chosen to believe the first. Stepping off the plane in Cuzco and feeling something different than I’ve ever felt before. They don’t make for great stories because there’s not really a beginning or an end or a plot. They just *were*. And they were real, and profound. You’ll understand what I mean when you’re looking back, trying to find good talk fodder or maybe filling out a questionnaire like this for yourself.”  (http://lifey.org/peru-lima-central-mission/)

Her testimony there obviously is significant for her. All those little experiences combine to form a mountain. But it is not proof for you or me. It doesn’t need to be.

This list is made up mostly of laymen, but there are two LDS leadership-position people on here. This is one of them:

I was raised in a wonderful but less-active family. I wasn’t accustomed to hearing testimonies borne of the truthfulness of the gospel within my home. So even though I grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah, in a predominantly Latter-day Saint environment, I didn’t grow up in a typical Latter-day Saint family. We didn’t hold family home evening or gather for family prayer. Many of the Church practices that my friends were used to were a little foreign to me.

“By virtue of this home environment, I was probably one of the least likely to stand and bear my testimony in front of a large seminary gathering. I was also a rather shy 15-year-old, so I was quite surprised when I found myself standing at a microphone in front of 300 seminary students. But I was comfortable because of what I felt deep inside. Even today, I still remember the overwhelming prompting by the Spirit to stand and bear my testimony in that seminary meeting.
“I don’t remember the exact words I spoke, but I will never forget the burning in my heart, the sure witness I received that the Church is true. I remember well the feeling of the Spirit of the Holy Ghost that descended upon me as I bore witness to the truthfulness of this Church.

“Before that day I believed the Church was true. I liked the Church. I thought it was good, and I participated in it. But at that defining moment in my life, I knew the Church was true. I couldn’t deny it, and no one could take that testimony away from me.” (https://www.lds.org/liahona/2008/02/gaining-a-testimony?lang=eng)

This proof is strong for Elder Sybrowsky. Strong enough to him that he now finds his testimony indestructible, according to that last sentence. But it is not proof for you or me. That experience is for him, but it does drop some clues.

This next one is from the other Seventy. I love it. I love it because I have an experience that follows the exact same blueprint. The story is he’d been saving up money for some sort of a scouting event. The day he needed it, it was gone. He couldn’t find it anywhere. He was an 8 year old boy tearing through the house in a panic. He ran into his mother, then:

Elder Evan A. Schmutz of the Seventy (Vision of an envelope)
“After listening to her son’s anguished explanation, Evan’s mother asked, “Have you prayed about it?” The thought had not crossed his mind. But he turned and went to his bedroom and knelt in prayer. He had no sooner called upon his Heavenly Father and begun to explain his difficulties when a picture came into his mind showing him the exact location of the envelope.
““I could see it. It was at the bottom of the kitchen wastebasket.” He got up and ran to the kitchen, pulled the wastebasket from under the sink, and dumped its contents on the kitchen floor. There, at the very bottom, just as he had been shown, was the envelope.
“It was such a relief. But more, it was the beginning of testimony. “I learned firsthand from that experience that God lives. He is our Father, and He answers prayers. He loves us. He even listens to a little boy, and He can show us wonderful things.”” (https://www.lds.org/church/news/-elder-schmutz-lifetime-of-spiritual-experiences-testifies-god-lives-and-loves-us?lang=eng)
That is proof for him. Absolute proof. But it is not for you. You can get your own if you haven’t already. Notice his happened in the middle of a prayer.

Now we move into the laymen. This is a guy who was raised non-LDS in Utah. He was taught to hate the Church. He meets an LDS girl and converts for her. Eventually she tells him he is not the one, and he’s stuck alone in a church that he was raised to hate. Then this:

Eric Lassen (sensation/vision)
“I began to pray, I had prayed about it two previous times, but received no answer. But when my heart was right and I had real intent to want to know I prayed I told God that I except (sic) Jesus as my savior and he died on the cross and was resurrected. I began to feel a burning in my chest, it spread through out my whole body, it was the most exciting thing I ever felt. I began crying and laughing as if the lord was holding me. The burning felt like he put his hand in my chest and was holding my heart, I was paralyzed I couldn’t move, my back was arched, while this was happening I asked the lord if the Church was true. Just as soon as I asked him, my whole body began shaking like I was having a seizure, My body shook three times. And soon after I saw a vision of some sort of a hurting man with blood all over him and a crown of thorns, it was very dark and sad I began crying again, then I saw a man standing at the edge of a ship looking across the sea. After this whole experience was over I went to bed, knowing my life was changed forever, I began reading the book of Mormon, and studying the scriptures, and the church. I think about my body shaking and remember what the scriptures say; the witnesses of God will be in Two’s or Three’s. My body shook three times. I know that this church is true, the lord told me so by giving me the Holy Ghost.”


That is strong proof for Eric. It’s got an overwhelming experience with the Holy Ghost and, in his mind, heaven sent visions. But it is not proof for you. You can get your own proof if you haven’t already. Notice this experience, too, happened during a prayer.

This next one is a little different. It shows, as well as some of those above, that you never know when you’re about to have an encounter with the divine. It’s weird – but actually kind of fits the Korihor pattern. Steve, the experiencer, is not a malcontent like Korihor – but God seems to temporarily use the same move here.

Steve (Can’t talk)
“I’d like to share an experience I had today (13.5.00) As a scout leader I spend a lot of time setting up tents and stuff. Today I was in the grounds of our chapel trying out a new family tent we had bought (our garden was not big enough). After a while some youths came by and started to call my wife vile names and make anti church comments. My first reaction was to shout equally vile comment back at them, but the Lord saw fit to take away my power of speech at that moment. Long enough for me to think what sort of example of the church I would be setting if I sank to their level. By the time I had thought of anything suitable to reply, they had gone their way, and the reputation of the church was saved from my careless instincts. I wish to thank the Lord for his forbearance with me in a moment of weakness and his constant love for his children. I know this is the true church. Joseph Smith was a true prophet. The Book of Mormon is truly the most important testimony of Christ available to man. I thank God for His sacrifice in sending His Son to atone for our sins. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.” (https://mormonsite.wordpress.com/archive2/)


I told you it was different. It leaves a lot of questions. It is not proof for you. It is definitely proof for him. He listed it on a page of LDS testimonies the very day it happened. God stopped his tongue. This next one is the opposite:

David (Gift of Tongues)
“I had 3 years of high school Spanish. I left the LTM as a 1.5 in Spanish. I didn’t understand anything anybody said for the first 3 months in the field. However, after about 6 weeks we were having a chat with a long-term investigator catholic priest. I couldn’t follow the discussion at all. All of a sudden, I just started lecturing this guy. I spoke for several minutes until the spirit wore off. My companion thought I was sand bagging him about my Spanish ability. I still have no idea what I said. After 3 months I was very fluent, another true miracle.” (http://lifey.org/peru-lima-north-mission/ )

He spoke before he couldn’t speak. It clearly means the world to David. But it is not proof for you. You can get your own proof, though. It might even be the gift of tongues. When you’re looking you never know what it will be.

This next one stems from a faith crisis. By all accounts a serious one. It changes things just a bit from the rest of thee testimonies. It shows that the testimonies of those we love and trust can almost be counted as our own. I transcribed it from a podcast. So sorry about the punctuation:

Dan Conway (Angels/Visions/Dreams)
“There were two main people who like, kind of helped me through questions and then in different times they would share experiences and other people who became aware of my struggle… one shared, you know, a kind of vision he had and these are people I know and trust that were good, honest people that would have no need to lie. There was no benefit of them lying. And I knew I was going through all these doubts and they would share these experiences and one shared an experience where he saw an angel in the temple and it was just like these really incredible experiences and I just felt… the only way to describe it is I’m having all these doubts and these people shared…helped me answer these questions and that’s helped me rationalize and helped me feel a bit better…”(https://leadinglds.org/how-i-lead-as-bishop-after-a-faith-crisis-an-interview-with-dan-conway/)

Sometimes other people’s testimonies actually can be proof for you – but not from a list like this. Not from strangers - from family. Or from really close friends. It’s got to be from someone you know wouldn’t make it up to sway you. It worked for Dan, as you can see up there. He went on to have a prophetic dream when he was called as a Bishop. It’s backed up by someone else’s prophetic dream. His friends’ testimonies and his dream - they absolutely are proof… for Dan. But not for you. You need to get your own proof if you haven’t already.

You can. The beautiful thing is – any sincere and seeking person can. And it can be big!

This next one is from the depths of another faith crisis. It’s not a newly-sparked faith crisis like Dan’s. This one is on the full swing anti-circuit. The account was given at a conference of people who came back to church after being convinced it was not what it claimed to be. This was Maxine’s reason for coming back. It’s the second appearance of full-blown heavenly angels on this list, and it is beautiful:

Maxine Hanks (Angels)
“…I remember I used to attend the Christmas Concert, the Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert every December, with the inner-faith roundtable. This is before I came back to the Church. Then I had shifted into that spiritual paradigm where I am trying to perceive things spiritually instead of temporally. There were times when I was sitting in the audience and I experienced a visionary experience when the tabernacle choir’s singing, that I experienced realms of angels sitting around them and singing with them. I’ll never forget one year, I think it was the Audra McDonald year. I was so completely undone by the experience, overwhelmed with what I had seen with my spiritual eyes, that I couldn’t stop crying, I was just sobbing, sloppily all over myself. I went downstairs to get my coat after it was all over. There was an usher standing there and sobbing too. We both looked at each other and we didn’t have to say anything, we had seen the same thing and both knew we had seen the same thing and I will never forget that experience. I think Joseph showed us, if we open our spiritual eyes, there are things to be learned and seen, that we haven’t even begun to appreciate.” (https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2013/the-loss-and-rekindling-of-faith)
Maxine Hanks, without a doubt, knows the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is exactly what it claims to be. She has 100% proof. There is no other word for it. All the people in the list above have 100% proof. For them. It’s not proof for you or me.

If you’ve already had experiences like those listed above I’d love to hear about it. If you haven’t – you can.

You can have your own ‘proof.’ It is open to all.

Sometimes it’ll hit you out of the blue – but in my experience, usually you have to look for it.


Comments

Popular Posts!

7 Super Great Legends of 3 Nephite Visits (One’s a First Hand Video!)

Have The LDS Prophets Seen Jesus Christ? (12 Yes!)(2 No!)(3 Quite Possibly!)

Accidental Reinforcement of Christ's BOM Visit to the Americas (This is Big!)

3 Curious Legends Of Other Nations Visited By Christ

11 Times People Glowed Like Jesus/Moses Outside of Scripture

A Big Huge List of Tons of People Who Used Seer Stones

The Guy Who Watched A Girl Resurrect, A Guy Who Saw the SLC Temple in A Dream, A 3 Nephite-ish Visitor...etc...etc

Some of Joseph Smith’s (Lesser Known) Big, Beautiful Bullseyes

8 Different Miracle-Stuffed Temple Dedications

Glowing Stones in the Book Of Mormon and Elsewhere (Lots of Elsewheres!)